Friday, May 04, 2012

soap just for fun

I used to make soap professionally, but realized I was made for bigger and better things! (just kidding)

Now it's just when we need/want more soap or for requests by friends/family, just because I can or if I have a fantastic idea.

I am enjoying the lack of consistency. I can do what I want when I want. My lavender soap doesn't have to look the same from batch to batch. For example, this time it's a very dark gray with a marbling of pale gray.

The various scents for this session were Lavender, Rosemary Lemongrass, Basil Citrus, Ginger Bergamot, Ambrosia, Tea Tree Eucalyptus and Peppermint Ice. This is my standard 41% olive oil recipe. My personal belief is that without olive oil, it's just another old bar of soap. :) Of course, your mileage may vary. This is a sudsy soap with a rich cream lather as opposed to big fluffy bubbles (which are lovely, too). Olive oil provides a nice 'slip', so it's great for shaving. 100% olive oil soap can be slimy, but the addition of the palm kernel and coconut oils give a harder, sudsier soap with no slimy feel.

I use botanical colorants. They are more fun to use. There are often surprises and they do oxidize over time. A lovely pale green olive leaf colorant will eventually fade to a soft beige. I like that. Change is something I embrace. I also use clay colorants, these do not fade and they give such a great substantial feel to the lather.

pale putty colors pale and dark two favorites warm greens and oranges queued and fading mix up

wow, i don't blog for a while and now i can't stop typing

No comments:

Post a Comment

just a minute