Monday, September 27, 2010

bookbinding - the book of the vampires

This book was inspired by the film "Nosferatu" (1922). "The Book of the Vampires" was a small book prop used in the movie. This is the english version (the movie is German).

Nosferatu book can be seen @ 13:45

The Book of the Vampires
"horrible darkness, on the cursed earth from the graveyards of the Black Death."

"Wherefore there is no salvation therefrom except that a woman pure in heart were to make the vampire forget the cock’s first crowing. Of her own free will would she have to give her own blood."

book cloth, diluted ink distressing
lovely lace paper that reminds me of webs fore edge corner
textblock before trimming spine

For the record, I'm not "into" vampires. I do like the 1922 version of "Nosferatu".

8 comments:

  1. I always thought it was a shame to cover up the sewing when binding a book, but now coptic sewing is in fashion, so let the sewing show.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine choosing one binding and sticking to it. I thrive on change. I think they are all beautiful. Coptic is very "in" right now. It's beautiful, but it's one of many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never met a bookbinder. sounds fascinating. I see we like many of the same writers. Howard, Bradbury, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Charles, thanks for calling me a bookbinder! :) I'm still very much at the beginning. But it is great. I love the feel of all the textures.

    I found your blog when I was looking up Howard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just love this. You did a beautiful job! How did you do it? Are you self taught? Is there someplace that gives a tutorial?

    xox

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nancy, I'm self taught. I started with this book: Hand Bookbinding: A Manual of Instruction I have so far to go, but am enjoying every inch of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, this came out great! I like your choice to use this fabric and design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks buechertiger, I really appreciate your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete

just a minute