Friday, July 09, 2010

Pugliese Bread from Italy

I love bread that looks (and tastes) like this. One can't have too crispy or too much crust. Pugliese Bread from Italy Pugliese Bread from Italy

This is from "The Italian Baker" by Carol Field. I used the methods here: Artisan Bread Baking. This recipe made two loaves. I preferred the loaf made from the one that wasn't folded (pictured above, the other was eaten). It achieved much better height in the oven.

This is a really nice bread with a hard crust and moist crumb. I love it's rustic form.

(I know this isn't a nice picture, sorry)

6 comments:

  1. Wow. That looks amazing! I love those thick, crusty, floury types of bread. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was good. I don't usually bake so much in the summer, but lately I can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I love italian breads, when I live in San Diego, little italy was just down the street from my studio, and I use to just love the scent of all the breads made there. This one looks like it could go well with just about anything I like to eat...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jesse. This kind of bread is so versatile. It looks heavier than it is. And yet it's heavy enough to support a sandwich. It's got a moist crumb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone in Italy knows the best bread comes from Puglia, it has all the characteristics you describe, crust, flavor, texture... ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it, Mimi! My grandmother said the same thing. Her bread was glorious.

    ReplyDelete

just a minute