Wednesday, September 19, 2007

quintessential quince

The first spring after we moved here, we discovered a quince shrub in our backyard. We are "city people" and didn't know what it was.

I thought it was a type of crabapple, my husband had no idea. He did try to eat one, but they are very tart and impossible to eat when raw.

Later that fall I did a little research and found that it was a quince shrub we had not a crapapple.

The fruit is extremely hard and often mishapen. I love the quince's inconsistent shape. Another fun thing is that it will produce flowers more than one time of year. This year I have harvested the fruit and there are flowers on the shrub. I like that. I also like the fact that this is an old variety and has not been hybridized or genetically modified. I'm not against those things, but I love the simplicity of of plant that is as it always was.

I make jelly out of the fruit, but there are other things you can do with quinces. The jelly is extremely bright and flavorful. Like the apple, it requires no added pectin to make jelly.
The quince has even inspired a poem or two!





No comments:

Post a Comment

just a minute