Thursday, June 07, 2007

Castile, lather and then some

I personally love castile soap. Historically castile soap is made with 100% olive oil. Castile soap does need a longer cure time, but the wait is well worth it.

The thing about an all olive oil castile soap is that it does not have copious amounts of lather. However, low lather is one of the reasons it is quite mild and some people with dry skin can use it with no problems and often some improvement. Castile soap also rinses off easily, which is another reason that it is milder than soap with more suds. But it will disappear rapidly if left to sit in water.

Castile is such a nice soap. But when I sell it, I always have to put a note making sure everyone knows that this soap does not lather like our other soap and that it will not last quite as long if left in the shower stream or in a puddle of water.

I've often wondered when we decided that we had to be covered in suds to become clean. Or that our skin needs to feel "tight". I understand wanting to feel clean, but I don't think we need to strip every bit of oil off of our skin, either. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

just a minute