Tuesday, September 21, 2010

scottish shortbread

across the surface
I love shortread because of it's simplicity. There are only four necessary ingredients: unsalted butter, sugar, flour and a little salt (three if you use salted butter and omit the salt, but the unsalted butter yields better results). This recipe had a couple of extra ingredients. It called for a little rice flour and vanilla. I bought the rice flour to use for paste, so I already had it. :)
two thistle close up one thistle close up
I have a shortbread pan that I never used. Now that it's a little cooler, I thought it was time to break it out.
I used this recipe. I let it cook a little longer so it would be easier to get out of the pan. Once the pan is used more, I won't have to worry about sticking. I am very happy at the level of detail here. Lucky me for choosing a good recipe. :)
scottish shortbread

edit to fix duplicate image, preview wasn't working

12 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, Sandy! This is a beautiful work of art! umm.... scottish shortbread :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I am wishing my computer had taste-a-vision right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, Gayle, I feel like that when reading other people's blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I fell in love with shortbread in Scotland and it is solely responsible for at least 10 of these unwanted lbs I carry around! Can't wait to try this!

    xox

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a nice recipe. I'm not sure about it's authenticity, but it is delicious. But how could it not be with all of that butter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love shortbread and this pan makes it into a work of art! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, I was pretty excited to get the pan and super thrilled when the shortbread popped right out. I didn't expect that for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same shortbread "pan." It's really terra cotta or some kind of stoneware.
    I got it at a Scottish shop in Brown County, Indiana when I used to live there. I'll have to break it out. I haven't used it in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny, I used it this once and that was it. I need to dig mine out again, too. :) It's so good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. It is and shortbread almost always turns out well. :)

      Delete

just a minute